Potential applications for digital signatures in the legal profession include contracts, licensing, invoicing, document archiving and general business correspondence. The transmission of electronic documents with legally binding signatures allows inefficient paper based processes reliant on traditional paper signatures to be replaced. The recipient can trust in the integrity of the PDF document and the identity of the author as it is automatically validated within Adobe® Acrobat and Reader®.
Post.Trust - Compliance and Standards
In accordance with the EU Directive for Digital Signatures 1999/93/EU Post.Trust is the only PKI based Certification Authority (CA) in Ireland accredited to issue Qualified Digital Certificates.
- EU Electronic Signatures Directive 1999/93/EU
- Irish eCommerce Act 2000
- Qualified Post.Trust Digital Certificates
- ISO 27001 Information Security Management System Standards
Post.Trust is accredited by Certification Europe, who is itself accredited by the Irish National Accreditation Board (INAB). Electronic documents signed with a Post.Trust digital certificate are fully compliant with the eSignatures Directive 1999/93/EU and the eCommerce Act, 2000.
Adobe® Certified Document Services (CDS)
Post.Trust’s Electronic Document Signing Digital Certificates combined with membership of the Adobe® CDS programme provide a unique advantage to customers who wish to dematerialise paper processes.
Post.Trust Electronic Document Signing Certificates for Adobe® CDS (Post.Trust I.D.®) benefits to business include:
- Automatic verification of Post.Trust I.D. signed Adobe PDF documents within the universally available Adobe® Reader®
- Adobe® Acrobat 'trust' symbols i.e. ‘green tick’ gives immediate visual indication of document validity
- Time Stamping using universal time provides legally sustainable sequence proof for document versions
- Revocation checking ensures that the signature was valid at time of signing
- Digital certificate is provided on a secure token which is FIPS-140-2 compliant
- Trust hierarchy easily established using Adobe® Reader®
Advantages of using signed electronic documents
The advantages include:
Provides evidence basis for:
- Time Stamping
- Document Security
Reductions in cost associated with:
- Pre-Printed forms
- Printing – printers, operators, inks, toners, paper
- Storage & Archiving – Space, filing, retrieving
- Locating originals and photocopying for queries
- Transmission – Envelopes, Handling, Mailing
- Simpler process for new forms and documents
- No wastage due to obsolescence of older forms
- No reliance on third party for pre-printing of forms
Customer Service Improvements:
- Faster communication of electronic documents
- Easier management of document changes
- Time Stamping makes version control easier to establish
- Personalisation of electronic communication is simpler and more cost effective than the paper equivalent
These advantages can provide a competitive edge in today’s time critical and cost sensitive business environment. The professionalism associated with providing a modern, secure and easy to use non-proprietary document exchange can not only secure existing business but can provide the platform for increasing your market share.